New members to the website - say hello here :-)

244 replies [Last post]
BrentfordTW8
BrentfordTW8's picture
Re: New members to the website - say hello here :-)

Deep Black wrote:
So where would you recommend? I've been round most of the Brentford pubs & the Magpie (as was) was the only real choice. The Brewary Tap is decent but only has Fullers (though there are ususally 4 of them).

& I hear the bar billiards has dissapeared too Sad Any idea where it went? I'd have given it a good home

Bar billiards just vanished as I would have found a home for it too, now replaced by a pool table/. And the beer is woefully looked after with drinkable beers made undrinkable. On the other hand it means I drink less when I do go to the Magpie so it's cheaper.

Difficult choice. the Griffin is the best kept Fullers and the nicest pub in Brentford (and my local), but also the most expensive, and you want to avoid it on match days unless you're joining in. The Brewery Tap is OK.

The Six Bells has just reopened after a complete refurb. Will report back after the weekend visit.

Considering we've got so many pubs it's a real shame how many of them are shite.

captain.fantastic
captain.fantastic's picture

I'm spoilt for ale at the moment...

My current lodgings in Norwich are ten minute walk from the Fat Cat pub - 6 ales brewed on the premises, 4 guest ales, 4 draft fruit ales - Camra pub of the year on a number of occasions!

The village I'm moving to on the broads has three pubs in walking distance, the closest is 5 minutes walk and the furthest is 30mins along the river. All are real ale pubs with a couple of house ales and a couple of guest ales and the closest has a pool table, a bar billiard table, a roaring log fire and a snug area with comfy seats and take and leave book selection with hundreds of books to read whilst supping Smiling

There is also a micro-brewery in the village - The Humpty Dumpty brewery - which sells casks to the public.

I may have just died and gone to heaven Smiling

Oh - and they have a beer festival at the village hall and on the green (in tents) for a week up to and including the August bank holiday weekend every year, not that big but last year had 60 different ales, book your visits now Eye-wink

Deep Black
Deep Black's picture

Sounds fantastic Ian, you've make awinning choice on location there Smiling

Quote:
The Six Bells has just reopened after a complete refurb. Will report back after the weekend visit.

Where's that one? I can't recall

Quote:
Considering we've got so many pubs it's a real shame how many of them are shite.

To be polite I'd change that to:
Considering we've got so many pubs it's a real shame how many of them are all basically the same.

lostcarpark
lostcarpark's picture

Deep Black wrote:
To be polite...

Since when were we polite?

James

Deep Black
Deep Black's picture

Up yours Eye-wink

Nursewhen
Nursewhen's picture

I'd join in if wasn't for the 'Feck' generator being off line.

walshy666
walshy666's picture

Hello!

Been reading Rankin for years and thought I'd look into the fan-club.

JD and Coke
JD and Coke's picture

walshy666 wrote:
Hello!

Been reading Rankin for years and thought I'd look into the fan-club.

Hello and welcome Walshy, pull up a chair and chill out Eye-wink

Deep Black
Deep Black's picture

Welcome.

If you do join up fully you get access to other bits of the forum. 4 magazines per year. Various bits of Rankin related info & (perhaps most importantly) a little golden sprout logo over there <----- under your name Smiling

Enjoy

Dr.Bob
Dr.Bob's picture

Deep the Six Bells is at the Iselworth end of Brentford 5 or 6 minutes further on than the Magpie just over the canal,it used to have some gigs on a Sunday night in the beer garden small pub though.