R.I.P. DACON

44 replies [Last post]
Tosh
Tosh's picture
Re: R.I.P. DACON

Any chance of a fan club signing event in Lincoln over that weekend ?(but not the Saturday as that's Muse in London)

Grand Master

Yep, there will be a launch party and signing on the Friday night (special limited edition bookplates in the first 200)

Barking owl
Barking owl's picture

Ok, as a member and some time poster on the forum (much more frequently on the past forums, life took over unfortunatley), I am one of those folks that have never made any of the larger style London events. Ever. They are always too expensive for me. Travel to London (assuming I can get through passport control at Hadrians Wall), stay in big hotels etc etc basically rule it out for me.

I know that this means I will probably never get to meet the man himself at an event, but the larger events are just not possible for me to attend.

I have, however, made it to a few of the Northern Sprouts wee get togethers, helping to organise the first KiltCon in Glasgow many, many moons ago, and the Carlisle event in 2008 (wash out!).

I have met some great people, had loads of fun and made some excellent friends.

All we need is to arrange a cheapish hotel for us all to sleep in and congregate, some pubs to sample, maybe a tourist attraction to see or other event (Search for the Lost Large - I was bloody freezing in my costume, but it was worth it!).

The club can maybe do some more events along these kind of lines. Minimal costs for everyone involved and maximum fun and toot.

Unless its just coz I scottish and a cheap bast Eye-wink

Kirsty xxx

captain.fantastic
captain.fantastic's picture

Hi Kirsty,

This is something prevelant in Mine, Graham's and Robert's mind - the club is south england and London-centric. That's geography for you Sad

That said - I fully agree that the smaller events up north have been a great thing but a stop-gap and we are looking at doing something next year that is south of watford, all we need is to be sure that enough will come to make it worth while. You only have to look at the original LARGE events to know that this does work and the southern contingent will travel...

Of course the truth is that even those of us in the south still have to pay travel and hotel cost even for the London based events or be prepared to leave early and sober(ish) - I will certainly be doing so for the Book launch (booking a hotel) as will many others.

Ian Smiling

Deep Black
Deep Black's picture

The Large events certainly got smaller as they wend on from 150ish at the 1st one to about 15 at the 4th one. But they all made the club some money, they all cost the club nothing (other than the raffle/auction donations) & they all provided pleanty of fun for those attending.

I loved TCaSU & I'm sure Da'Con would have been a blast, but the smaller events are just fine for me - Ripper, Museum of Childhood, Kiltcon, the Manchester Museum, 1 day book launch events, drinks after book signings.

Ohh is Robert doing any other Signings this time round too?

Tosh
Tosh's picture

Grand Master wrote:
Yep, there will be a launch party and signing on the Friday night (special limited edition bookplates in the first 200)

Is that just for Asylum attendees though or can anyone come along?

Grand Master

You can be my special guest.

Deep Black
Deep Black's picture

I didn't know that was an option Sad I've ordered one (from Rachel) with a special plate thingy, to be picked up at the Forbidden Brentford launch.

Uncle Nick

"Forbidden Brentford"

Now that has a ring to it...

It turns out that I *am* going to The Asylum after all now (the confirmation that I'm a volunteer came through), so I shall be present and correct on the Friday Smiling

Deep Black
Deep Black's picture

That front page could still do with a good update...