MURKY DEPTHS

33 replies [Last post]
Dr.Bob
Dr.Bob's picture
Re: MURKY DEPTHS

This may be of interest for some people

Here is the British Fantasy Awards 2010 longlist. Everything here has been recommended by a BFS or FantasyCon member.
Best Magazine Section
MURKY DEPTHS, ed. Terry Martin (The House of Murky Depths)

Note: this is just the Long list not who has won, when the short list comes up I can post it if it is still in the running. Smiling

Dr.Bob
Dr.Bob's picture

British Fantasy Awards 2010: the Nominees

Best Magazine

BLACK STATIC, ed. Andy Cox (TTA)
CEMETERY DANCE, ed. Richard Chizmar (Cemetery Dance)
INTERZONE, ed. Andy Cox (TTA)
MIDNIGHT STREET, ed. Trevor Denyer (Immediate Direction)
MURKY DEPTHS, ed. Terry Martin (The House of Murky Depths) Smiling still in the running
THEAKER’S QUARTERLY FICTION, ed. Stephen Theaker and John Greenwood (Silver Age)

Fantasycon 2011

It's being held in the Royal Albion Hotel, Brighton (the WHC venue for this year) and early registration is £35.

Tosh
Tosh's picture

Just got round to ordering Smiling

Uncle Nick

Little bit of thread necromancy here:

Terry from Murky Depths wrote:

Hi

We have decided to call it a day and to cease publication of Murky Depths. Unfortunately optimism and words of encouragement don’t pay the bills and sales have remained static for some time. We have hung on for as long as possible believing, as you have to in any business, that sales will improve, but there comes a time when you realise that even if they do you’re still not going to recoup your (not inconsiderable) investment over the last five years since the promo Issue #0 was released. The decision wasn’t taken lightly.

We will still continue to publish books and graphic novels and would like to keep your goodwill so hope you accept the following offer in the spirit that’s intended. We are not in a position to pay back the remaining subscription fees, so in lieu of the two remaining issues of your subscription we offer you any three back issues of Murky Depths or, alternatively, a Dead Girls T-shirt (worth £14.99) and a pack of Dead Girls badges (worth £1.99). We hope you consider this a fair offer.

You can read our blog announcement here:- http://lucifal.wordpress.com/2011/10/25/murky-depths-demise/

Best
Terry

Bugger! Shocked

reddragon70
reddragon70's picture

Damnation. Another great publication gone Sad

Deep Black
Deep Black's picture

Shame

Grand Master

That is a tragedy, Terry is one of the nicest and most inspiring people you are likely to meet. A very great pity indeed.

captain.fantastic
captain.fantastic's picture
This is, as the MAN himself says, a tragedy. I have never subscribed and now am torn as to whether I should have and supported the magazine or should be glad, with this news, that I didn't - but I have supported and bought the odd magazine and graphic novel from them and have heartily endorsed them to others...... It is always hard to admit defeat or difficulties in the fanzine and fan based world as you feel VERY personally responsible and don't want to let people down, I speak from experience Sad but we fan boys and girls are a very forgiving bunch when people are seen to be trying to do the right thing as is very clearly the case here, kudos to Terry. I wish the best to murky depths (in whatever incarnation it continues to exist) and Terry and look forward to seeing more of the graphic novel output.
Deep Black
Deep Black's picture

Any chance of them putting out Roberts new one then?
I still can't find any way to get it

JD and Coke
JD and Coke's picture

captain.fantastic wrote:
I have never subscribed and now am torn as to whether I should have and supported the magazine or should be glad, with this news, that I didn't

That is exactly as I feel about it, purchased a few but always hovered over that subscription button.

Deep Black wrote:
Any chance of them putting out Roberts new one then?

A very good point, however I would think there would be a “rights” issue over the current comic book, maybe the next one?