What are you reading now?

617 replies [Last post]
Nursewhen
Nursewhen's picture
Re: What are you reading now?

Ooh it's all gone random!
Puzzled

Ah, I've finally sussed it!

Brentford Library, may I introduce you to the 'quote' button on the bottom right of the posts to which you are replying, it helps people work out who you're talking to.
Smiling

Lord Bungle

Brentfordlibrary wrote:
I manage the Library! Just started. Got Osterley too which is just down the road. I am supreme dictator for life of the anarchist people's republic of Brenterley! So not mad at all then. We're trying to put together a Rankin event for next year in Brentford. Would you come?

I may have to pop down and renew my membership, I let it lapse many years ago when I copped the hump over the fact there were never any Rankin Books in there, not even to request to be held. Haven't set foot in there for years, really should, I live just around the corner as well Jawdropping!

Timmeh
Timmeh's picture

Currently reading John Diamond's Snake Oil, which is excellent so far.

The Librarian

For gods' sake come on down. We have a vip membership scheme which entitles you to free tea and biscuits, loads of Rankin books, and you can chat to our knowledgeable and attractive staff member! Brentford also now has a group on facebook which you're welcome to join.

Deep Black
Deep Black's picture

Currently reading Enders Game by Orson Scott Card

Gaz
Gaz's picture

I'm currently re-reading Arthur C. Clarke's "The Fountains of Paradise" - one of my favourites from when I was a teenager, haven't read it in years, and it's not lost any charm.

Deep Black
Deep Black's picture

Are you much of a re-reader Gaz?

Just today I bought Clarke's "Childhoods End" (99p from a charily shop).
Read "City & the Stars" & "2001"

Gaz
Gaz's picture

Deep Black wrote:
Are you much of a re-reader Gaz?

Just today I bought Clarke's "Childhoods End" (99p from a charily shop).
Read "City & the Stars" & "2001"

I do tend to re-read my favourites, although often many years between readings.

I *love* "City & the Stars", I really need to re-read that one - don't have a copy though, I had it out of the library many times when I was younger.

Childhood's End is another great one - I think my dad still has a copy, must check.

I read Rendezvous with Rama again recently too, mainly because I'd got a copy of Rama II. Loved the first one, wasn't really taken by Rama II though, it was co-written with Gentry Lee, and it showed. I wasn't keen on Cradle either, another collaboration with Lee. Looking at Rama II and Cradle together with the original Rama, the difference Gentry Lee makes sticks out like a sore thumb, and I didn't like his style.

Deep Black
Deep Black's picture

Clarke did a lot of collaborations towards the end (why? creativity, money, health, lazy, easy life) have you read any of the later Stephen Baxter ones? I have several sitting on my shelves.

Baxter was very much considerered to be the new Clarke, even taking over as president of the British Science Fiction Association after his death.

Gaz
Gaz's picture

I think towards the end he was able to come up with the ideas & basic storylines, but not able to put the hours in to flesh those out into novel form.

Never read any Stephen Baxter at all, I'll have to check him out.